Friday 5 March 2010

International Women's Day 8th March


This Monday is International Women's Day and in honour of this next week I am going to profile women in television at this time who, both behind and in front of the camera are examples of the great contribution to television. I am interested in the idea of the 'celluloid ceiling' which as a concept suggests that women are statistically the minority gender in Hollywood, this unfortunately does appear to be the case with women representing a small amount of directors and writers. What I intend to look at is those women who are leading the way in these fields as well as those women who in front of the camera portray characters who will further the idea that women are equal to men in all facets of the world. This is a project that I have been looking at for some time and it is always one that I think of whenever I am watching Friday Night Lights (Tami Taylor has this effect on me), so I am really looking forward to sharing with you all the talented women that you are already aware of and some you may be less familiar with.
This marks the 99th International Women's Day after it started way back in 1911. This is definitely something to be proud of and the world has come a significant way since then, there is still a way to go but I am looking forward to celebrating those women in television who are aiding this. If you would like to find out more about International Women's Day go here.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, good Tami reference! I am missing it at the moment...

    Is there a national and an international women's day? I saw something in the news about it being today, not the 15th. Would be quite nice to have two, although might defeat the purpose of it being called 'day'. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major typo, it is today, not sure how I wrote the wrong date but thanks for noticing, all is put right now. Also currently writing an article on the wonderful Tami Taylor and it will be up in the next hour or two so I hope you enjoy.x

    ReplyDelete