Tuesday 17 March 2009

Hello and welcome

    So I have finally got around to what I have been saying I will do for months and actually write a blog on the immense time that I spend on both the internet and watching television. I have no idea whether any one will be interested in what I have to say on the programmes that I watch but it will be a good experiment nonetheless. The aim of this blog will mainly be to review the programmes that I watch as well as to look at broader themes and ideas that may be stimulated from these programmes. This might include elements of fashion in Gossip Girl, comedy in forensic shows such as Bones or the use of literature in Lost. I’m sure as this develops I will focus my ideas more thoroughly, or it might go in the opposite stream of consciousness direction. This is why I have gone for calling it ‘A piece of television pie’ as there is no way I could cover all things television but will stick with the piece that I am interested in. The food theme in the title is purely metaphorical and food programmes will most likely not feature, as I am neither a good cook nor do I really watch many food shows. However, as a food type pies are pretty awesome as they taste great as both as savoury main and as a sweet desert.

    Current programmes that will most likely be featured will include: ‘Lost’, ‘Chuck’, ‘Bones’, ‘Heroes’, ‘Gossip Girl’, ‘The Daily Show’, ‘Fringe’, ‘The Colbert Report’, ‘Mad Men’, ‘30 Rock’, ‘Dexter’, ‘ER’ (in 3 episodes it will be a past programme), ‘Ugly Betty’ and ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm.’ Shows that are gone but not forgotten that may feature are: ‘Six Feet Under’, ‘Alias’, ‘The OC’, ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’, ‘Sex and the City’, ‘Arrested Development’, ‘My So-Called Life’, ‘The X-Files’ and ‘Band of Brothers’ (my all-time favourite HBO production). There are also several shows that I really must get around to watching which include ‘The Office’ (the US version), ‘The Wire’, ‘The Sopranos’ (seen bits and bobs, never the complete series), ‘Friday Night Lights’ (watched the movie last night and thought it was very good) and I’m looking forward to the new Amy Poehler vehicle ‘Parks and Recreations,’ as well as her husband’s (Will Arnett) new show ‘Sit Down, Shut Up’ which also features other ‘Arrested Development’ alumni Jason Bateman.

    The list is pretty long and hopefully I will find something of interest and worth about all included. I also hope that I will make some new discoveries on the way. The subject matter for my first piece though will be why I think the show ‘Chuck’ should be saved, as it has come to that time of year when the fate of the next season line up will soon be decide. So I will see you in a few days.     

     

1 comment:

  1. The end of first paragraph offshoot about pies made me laugh.

    Matthew (Trip Carter)

    ReplyDelete